Headaches and migraines are an unfortunate issue that millions of people deal with daily. They can last minutes and be fairly light or last hours and can ruin your entire day. If you are experiencing painful headaches or migraines, schedule an appointment with Chiropractic Today in Birmingham, AL.
The Difference Between Headaches and Migraines
Headaches and migraines are similar because they both can cause severe pain and aches in your head. Both can be especially debilitating depending on the severity and type.
Headaches can cause a feeling of pressure on one or both sides of your head and can be caused by many issues such as anxiety, stress, lack of sleep, and allergies.
- Sinus headaches are similar in severity to a migraine but are caused by fever, nasal congestion, and seasonal allergies. These can be relieved by taking allergy medications.
- Cluster headaches occur on one side of the head and can appear and reappear at any time and last for a few hours. It is unknown what causes cluster headaches and the main treatment for them is oxygen therapy.
- Tension headaches are caused by overexerting your body through exercise and also moments of stress and anxiety. The best treatments are over-the-counter medications and relaxing in a quiet environment.
- Thunderclap headaches are sudden and severe headaches that grow in severity within one minute of starting. These headaches can be a sign of a hemorrhage or brain aneurysm. Thunderclap headaches can last for hours and if the pain doesn’t go away or gets worse, requires emergency medical treatment.
Migraines are similar to headaches when it comes to pain but when a migraine strikes, it’s usually accompanied by other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, and vision loss.
- A migraine with aura is when a person starts to see visual symptoms of a migraine before the actual headache starts. This can include lightheadedness and a tingling sensation in the head. Treatments consist of over-the-counter and prescription medications.
- A migraine without aura is just a simple migraine without the visual symptoms beforehand.
Some migraine sufferers report symptoms like depression and neck stiffness in the days before their migraine started.
How a Chiropractor Can Help
Most people think chiropractors are only useful for relieving back pain when in reality, they can do so much more. A chiropractor can perform an adjustment and spinal manipulation to relieve the stress on your back and body and relax the muscles that may be contributing to your headaches and migraines. A chiropractor can also advise you on proper posture and provide relaxation techniques to avoid painful headaches in the future.
Call Chiropractic Today
You don’t have to live with chronic headaches and migraines. Call our chiropractor at Chiropractic Today in Birmingham, AL, to receive the headache and migraine treatment that you deserve. We will create a treatment plan tailored to you to help relieve your pain. Call us today at (205) 991-3511 to schedule an appointment.